As stated earlier, the speed of a bow is pegged to a number of factors meaning the fastest crossbow is equipped with a number of innovative features in order to make this happen. Currently, there are a number of premium bows competing for the title of the fastest crossbow on the market. Brands like Barnett and TenPoint have quality units that rival the cream of the crop. Unfortunately, there can only be one winner. With that, let’s have a look at the answer to the question, what is the fastest crossbow around?
The Excalibur Matrix 405 Mega Crossbow with Twilight DLX:
With the Excalibur Matrix 405, the goal is quite simple – taking down whatever is in your sights and in record breaking fashion. Unlike other units, this exemplary master-craft is a mean brute designed categorically for hunting purposes. To justify its hype, its impressive rig is compared to an African double-rifle, meaning it’s not the bow to use in your hobbyist backyard games or even tournaments.
It packs a plethora of exclusive features such as the Ergo Stock, REDS dampening system, Excalibur’s Compact Recurve Technology, Dyna Flight string, PowerLoad limbs and Pistol grip among other features. Before reviewing the reasons why it is the fastest crossbow on the market, here are some of the things to expect in the Excalibur Matrix 405 package.
- Four Diablo Arrows
- Twilight DLX Scope
- The Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 Crossbow
- Assembly tools and hardware
- Four arrow quiver
- Rope cocking device
- Four 150-grain field points
- Instructional DVD and manual
Mega Recurve – as is the norm with all recurve hunting bows, the Matrix sports no wheels, cams or any moving component whatsoever. Its raw mechanism simply entails twin Matrix PowerLoad limbs attached from end-to-end with a long and effective 35-inch Dyna Flight string. The composite molded 15-inch limbs are crafted in-house using unidirectional fiberglass material and hence, making them 60 percent sturdier than its predecessor.
Excalibur’s Recoil Energy Dissipation System (REDS) – this exclusive system by Excalibur consists of twin modules attached to the riser on both sides of the rail, where the rubber bumpers hugs the string to enhance noise reduction and minimal oscillation. Also attached to directly on the end of the riser to help you cock the bow with a rope in simplistic fashion is the foot stirrup.
Quad-Loc Riser – the unique riser on the Matrix mega 405 can hold each limb firmly at multiple points and hence eliminating unwanted movement at the essential interface. The sturdy aluminum alloy riser is crafted into its final forming using CNC machining, complete with a dedicated area specifically made for broad head clearance.
z – the included Twilight DLX crossbow scope is one of the easiest to sight in and in fact, one of the brightest spots of the comprehensive package. It can hold on zero almost indefinitely, with illuminated green or red reticles ranging from 10 to 50 yards, for precision while hunting. Moreover, the powerful lenses included in the scope are multi-coated to enhance maximum brightness and clarity. In a nutshell, the impeccable light gathering features of the Twilight DLX scope are just as good – if not better – than most aftermarket scopes. It doesn’t really matter whether you are hunting in foggy or damp weather as this scope is designed to get you results.
Ergo Grip Stock – unlike the ordinary stocks found on most bows, the Excalibur Matrix 405 Ergo Grip stock packs a number of innovative handling features to enable you get the most of any hunting application. It incorporates a trigger guard for safety purposes, butt plate, pistol grip and extremely rare stock piece. It also encompasses a standard, adjustable cheek piece to suit both left and right-handed shooters. The best part, though, is that the stock is crafted using glass-filled nylon, with molded injection that allows detailed formations including flares, grooves and ribbing. You can rest assured of comfort with the Ergo Grip, as both the foregrip and pistol grip features are cushioned with rubber inserts – for safe measure if you tend to sweat a lot.
The Bridge – the sturdy 405’s rail effectively attaches the stock and bow, besides serving as the main platform for the trigger housing mounted on one end – closest to the shooter. Unlike most bridges, the Excalibur Matrix 405 bridge is crafted from heavy-duty aluminum alloy, meaning you are safe considering the fact that it hosts the main linkage between the release mechanism and trigger.
Generally speaking, the bridge helps facilitate the impressive three-pound trigger pull and mind-boggling 405-feet per second speed. In addition, you get the exclusive Excalibur’s Guardian Anti-Dry-Fire system located in the scope mount, designed to catch the string just in case you fire the bow without loading a bolt. The built-in release feature further enhances this by allowing easy de-cocking and the manual safety component located at the back of the sturdy trigger housing flips seamlessly between fire and safety positions complete with a user-friendly blocking mechanism.
Diablo bolts – with every purchase of the Excalibur Matrix 405, you get four high quality diablo bolts that are ranked among the best in the niche. To put this into perspective, the carbon crafted arrows pack a whopping 150-grain field tips and are regarded for being highly durable, besides being able to fly in a straight line – unlike most bolts on the market. Just in case you need to invest in some extra arrows, it is worth noting that the Matrix Mega doesn’t use nocks. Instead, the designers threaded innovative inserts for use with Excalibur’s exclusive T-handle arrow puller.
- Most hunters should fall in love with the 405 for a number of valid reasons. If you have the physical ability to draw back the string, you should feel right at home with the amazing product from Excalibur. Topping the list of pros is the bow’s impressive power and record-breaking speed – at 405-feet per second; it is undoubtedly the fastest crossbow you can get your hands on currently. In short, the bow has more than enough to take down the biggest legal game hunting prize.
- Also, the Matrix Mega is really silent compared to other crossbows of its caliber. In fact, it is almost silent and for a crossbow this powerful, this is nothing short of impressive. The string dampeners, integrated R.E.D.S system and silencers work extremely well at facilitating minimal noise, meaning you need not fret about scaring away your game during hunting.
- The Excalibur Matrix 405 is simply one of the safest crossbows around and this can be attributed to a number of amazing safety features. For instance, the Guardian Anti-Dry Fire mechanism will flawlessly keep you from firing blanks, while the integrated R.E.D.S system works at reducing shock, noise and vibrations.
- Finally, the fact that you get an all-weather bow in the Excalibur product means you don’t have to wait for particular seasons to go hunting. It is equipped with a highly effective Twilight DLX scope that remains bright and clear even in foggy conditions and the fact that you don’t have to destring it every time you store the bow makes it quite a catch.
- Every product has a flaw – yes, even the unparalleled Excalibur Excalibur Matrix 405 crossbow. However, in this case it is somewhat different. Its greatest strength – power – works against it in the sense that cocking it can be quite a hassle if you don’t have enough power to draw back the string. Fortunately, it comes with cocking aids to help you out – even though they can be quite time consuming.
The Bottom Line:
If you are a hunting enthusiast, you are probably aware of the benefits pegged to owning a smaller, compact bow that doesn’t compromise on power or speed. This is the true definition of the Matrix Mega. Thanks to the innovative Excalibur’s Compact Recurve Technology, the bow is quite compact, convenient and maneuverable. This, despite its impressive 290 pound draw weight designed to bring down anything in sight.
If you are still wondering what the fastest crossbow on the planet is, you now have the answer – The Excalibur Excalibur Matrix 405. It is an amazing bow with plenty of impressive features to solidify its spot as the number one crossbow currently. Accuracy at 35 yards will easily get the job done regardless of how big your game is and if the 290 pound draw weight seems too much to handle, you can always go for the lighter C2 crank to make it a less daunting affair.
To prove its sturdy frame, all Matrix Mega crossbows come with a limited lifetime warranty applicable for the entire lifetime of the authentic owner. Unlike most products in the niche where contacting the customer care service can be quite hassle, the customer staff at Excalibur are simply effective. You get unmatched customer support to help you out with any questions or problems regarding the functionality of the crossbow. However, learning the ropes shouldn’t be much of a problem considering the detailed and easy to use owner’s manual entailed in the package, alongside an instructional DVD guide.
The long and short of it is that this Excalibur product delivers a hunting experience second to none and if you are a pro archer looking to take your game a notch higher, the 405 is certainly your safest bet and for good reasons. It is a beast that packs immense power and safety features that put other products in the niche to shame. To wrap it up, it would certainly be in your best interest to consider checking out the Excalibur Matrix Mega crossbow, if the fastest bow is what you are really looking for.
Let‘s talk more about the Fastest Crossbow
Before they became the popular hunting accessories they are now, crossbows were used in ancient China for a number of applications including hunting. However, crossbows back then weren’t as dynamic as they are now and in fact, the infinite range of products on the market is nothing short of mind-boggling. The wide range of crossbows on the market are designed for the different skill levels, meaning if you are just making a debut on the hunting scene, it would be in your best interest to go for a beginner’s level product.
However, it is worth noting that crossbows are great hunting accessories for both amateurs and pros. The idea is to basically know where you rank – in regards to skill level – and what to look for in a crossbow. Therefore, before looking at the fastest crossbow on the market currently, here is the ultimate crossbow buying guide to get you started.
Crossbow Buying Guide:
As stated, crossbows vary greatly in size and design – crafted for different skill levels. With this in mind, knowing what to look for in a fastest crossbow before heading out to invest in one can, indeed, be of great help. Therefore, here are the main parts of a crossbow.
Basic Parts of a Crossbow:
- Bow String – this refers to the string attached to the bow cables. It consists of part of the bow that is drawn back.
- Cables – the cables in a crossbow facilitate the drawing back of the bow and are tied to both ends of the bowstring.
- Cams – the cams are designed to store the energy used to propel the arrow and bowstring. In case you didn’t know, the cams are the rounded or oval – in some cases – parts located on both ends of the limbs.
- Limbs – the limbs are basically designed to not only support the bows cam system, but also preserve energy needed before the shot. Basically, they are the elongated, flexible planks crafted from fiberglass – attached to the riser.
- Let-off – if you’ve shopped around for crossbows, you will notice some let-off percentages on the bows. For instance, if the prospective bow advertises “80% let-off,” it basically means that you will only be holding back 20% of the entire draw weight when fully drawn.
- Riser – the riser is simply the middle part of the bow attached to the limbs.
- Stirrup – a bow’s stirrup actually resembles that used for horse saddles, but in this case, it is used to insert the foot while cocking the bow. Generally, it is the section attached to the bow’s front at the riser.
- Stock – when aiming the crossbow, the part you hold is referred to as the stock.
- Trigger – similar to a gun’s trigger, this is the part you pull when ready to shoot. It is located right under the stock.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Fastest Crossbow:
As you may have already gathered, choosing the perfect bow to match your skill-set is no mean feat to achieve. This can be attributed to the wide range of products available on the market and to help you out, here is a list of factors to consider while out shopping for the fastest crossbow, to enhance your hunting game.
a.) Weight – the weight of a crossbow can determine whether or not you emerge successful as a hunter. Indeed, it is one of the most paramount factors to consider when choosing a fastest crossbow. For instance, a light bow is quite convenient for those that hunt a lot while on the flipside, a heavy bow has the benefit of steadiness when shooting. With this, comes the conclusion that pro hunters who shoot from long distances are better placed with light crossbows. Amateurs on the other hand, require a heavier bow to enhance their game since they won’t be walking for long distances.
b.) Purpose – similar to any other product, asking yourself why you need a crossbow and what purpose it serves should be the first step. In short, ask yourself whether you need the bow for elk hunting or perhaps, target practice. If all you need is a bow for target practice and fun-filled experiences, factors such as weight or size shouldn’t rank high on your list of priorities. Those seeking an effective hunting accessory, though, should delve on the bow’s specs and try to get a premium unit while at it.
c.) Draw weight – when it comes to a bow’s draw weight, it all depends on what exactly you plan on hunting, alongside your physical abilities. Generally, you are likely to come across units with draw ranges from 75 pounds, all the way up to 200 pounds. To put this into perspective, you need approximately 150 pounds of draw weight to hunt down a deer. With this in mind, you can tell just how much draw weight you need depending on the purpose. If you notice that a bow’s draw weight is too much to handle, try getting a rope cocking aid to decrease this weight by half.
d.) Speed – the speed of a crossbow is as important as the purpose it serves. Generally speaking, the speed of an arrow revolves around a number of factors such as the power stroke, or draw weight for that matter. An elongated power stroke enhances the arrow’s travel speed meaning it can compensate for a lower draw weight. However, if all you really want is the fastest crossbow around for a faster shot, your safest bet lies in compound types of crossbows. They basically store more energy and hence, propel the arrow faster.
e.) Scopes – just like rifles, scopes are designed to enhance accuracy. To get more accurate shots when hunting, try going for bows with single, mutli-reticle, multi red dot or optical scopes.
f.) Noise – you obviously want your crossbow to be as silent as possible if you use it for hunting. If noise ranks high on your list of priorities, it would be advisable to go for bows equipped with parallel limbs and not cam systems.
Depending on the purpose, scrutinizing the above features when out shopping for a bow can go a long way in helping you find the perfect match. However, if you are a pro and have been in the hunting game for quite a while now, you are probably interested in finding the fastest crossbow on the market. Therefore, what is the fastest crossbow right now? Read on to find out.